CO-FINANCED BY: KUJAWSKO-POMORSKIE REGION, MINISTRY OF CULTURE AND NATIONAL HERITAGE FROM PROMOTION OF CULTURE FUND AND POLISH FILM INSTITUTE
We would like to thank also all the distributors, producers, societies, film schools, volunteers, friends and individual supporters, without whom the festival would be deprived of its essential value.THANK YOU !!!
There were 13 films from all over the world in this year's feature films competition. The JURY consisted of:James Ivory - JURY President Adam Holender Rogier Stoffers Franciszek Starowiejski Tony Pierce - Roberts Krzysztof Malkiewicz Pierre Lhomme Films in competition: (marked names of Camerimage 2003 guests): Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World Cinematographer: Russell Boyd Director: Peter Weir Country: USA Girl with a Pearl Earring Cinematographer: Eduardo Serra Director: Peter Webber Country: UK / Luxembourg Return, The Cinematographer: Mikhail Krichman Director: Andrei Zvyaginstev Country: Russia City of God Cinematographer: Cesar Charlone Director: Fernando Meirelles Country: Brazil / France / USA In the Cut Cinematographer: Dion Beebe Director: Jane Campion Country: USA / Australia Pornography Cinematographer: Krzysztof Ptak Director: Jan Jakub Kolski Country: Poland I am Dina Cinematographer: Dan Laustsen Director: Ole Bornedal Country: Norway / Denmark / Sweden / Germany / France Mystic River Cinematographer: Tom Stern Director: Clint Eastwood Country: USA Squint Your Eyes Cinematographer: Adam Bajerski, Paweł Śmietanka Director: Andrzej Jakimowski Country: Poland Hero Cinematographer: Chris Doyle Director: Yimou Shang Country: China Women of Rosenstrasse, The Cinematographer: Franz Rath Director: Margarethe Von Trotta Country: Germany / Netherlands Twin Sisters Cinematographer: Piotr Kukla Director: Ben Sombogaard Country: Netherlands / Luxembourg Kitchen Stories Cinematographer: Philip Ogaard Director: Bent Hamer Country: Norway / Sweden
Competition included 25 films from 9 countries and 16 schools, chosen from among entered 110 films from 32 film schools from 22 countries. The etudes was judged by the international JURY:
William A. Fraker - the Jury President
John De Borman
In the competition for Golden, Silver and Bronze Tadpole:Adéle (France), Anabiosis (Poland), Anaesthesia (Poland), Ash Wednesday (Bulgaria), Blindfold (Poland), The Bride of the Wind (Germany), Coma (Poland), Divine Sight (India), Empty (USA), The Fighter (Denmark), Giacomo e Pepe (Germany), The Guest (UK), I Love U (Spain), In the Box (Poland), It's O.K. (Poland), The Last of the Men (Poland), Lisa (Poland), Machine (UK), The Memory (Poland), Nuts and Bolts (Germany), One Way Ticket (Germany), Pandora (Germany), Parings (Poland), The Tell-Tale Heart (Germany), T-Rex (Poland),
Furthermore we presented following etudes out of Competition:Absences (Spain), Berenika (Poland), Brother Jacob (Germany), Business as Usual (Germany), The Clearing (USA), The End of War (Poland), The Fall (Finland), Flower for My Love (Germany), I Have Something to Tell You (Bulgaria), Nuker (Hungary), Out of Reach (Poland), Pipio (South Korea), The Shipment (Poland), Sicilian (Poland), A Simple Song (Australia), Vera (France), What Else (Poland), Wolves Ravine (Germany), Crimson Gold Cinematographer: Hossein Jafarian Director: Jafar Panahi Country: Iran Distant Cinematographer: Nuri Bilge Ceylan Director: Nuri Bilge Ceylan Country: Turkey Divorce, The Cinematographer: Pierre Lhomme Director: James Ivory Country: USA / France Dolls Cinematographer: Katsumi Yanagishima Director: Takheshi Kitano Country: Japan Marsh, The Cinematographer: Daniel Vincelette Director: Kim Nguyen Country: Canada Masked and Anonymous Cinematographer: Rogier Stoffers Director: Larry Charles Country: USA / UK Red Siren Cinematographer: Denis Rouden Director: Olivier Megaton Country: France Retrospective presentation of film etudes of cinematographers from Lodz Film School from the years 1955 - 1994. Retrospective presentation of film etudes of directors from Lodz Film School from the years 1959 - 1989. Skolimowski, Painter, Poet, Filmmaker Cinematographer: Damian Bertrand Director: Damian Bertrand Country: France Symmetry Cinematographer: Arkadiusz Tomiak Director: Konrad Niewolski Country: Poland Torn Cinematographer: Bogumił Godfrejow Director: Jacek Filipiak Country: Poland U43 Cinematographer: Marcus Ziegler Director: Anna Kuczyński Country: Germany Woodstock Cinematographer: Igor Tratkowski, Rafał Łukaszewicz, Witold Szczepan, Yach Paszkiewicz, Dariusz Goczał Director: Yach Paszkiewicz, Jurek Owsiak Country: Poland American Hot Wax Cinematographer: William A. Fraker Director: Floyd Mutrux Country: USA Chances Are Cinematographer: William A. Fraker Director: Emile Ardolino Country: USA Looking for Mr. Goodbar Cinematographer: William A. Fraker Director: Joshua Logan Country: USA Paint Your Wagon Cinematographer: William A. Fraker Director: Joshua Logan Country: USA Reflection of Fear Cinematographer: Laszlo Kovacs Director: William A. Fraker Country: USA Cold Creek Manor Cinematographer: Declan Quinn Director: Mike Figgis Country: USA Hotel Cinematographer: Mike Figgis, Patrick Alexander Steward Director: Mike Figgis Country: UK / Italy Timecode (live mix performance by the director) Cinematographer: Mike Figgis, Tony Cucchiari, James Wharton O'Keefe, Patrick Alexander Steward Director: Mike Figgis Country: USA
- Chris Doyle's seminar, Festival Center.
- ARRI Workshops for students, led by Remi Adefarasin, Opus Film Studio, 400 participants.
- Russell Boyd's seminar, Festival Center.
- PANAVISION Workshops for students, led by William A. Fraker and Laszlo Kovacs, Opus Film Studio, about 350 participants at each part.
- SACHTLER seminar for students and cinematographers conducted by company representative.
- Digital Intermediate Seminar for professionals, cooperation of Kodak, ARRI, Panavision and Technicolor - Digital Intermediate, Polonia Theatre at Piotrkowska St.
- ARRI workshop for students, led by Sławomir Idziak, Opus Film Studio, 350 participants.
- CHIMNEY POT seminar, main screening room.
- AVID editing workshop, technical presentation by company represen- tative and creative presentation by Michael Tronick.
- Music and Image Seminar with Reni Jusis and Bartosz Prokopowicz - interaction between music and cinematography during the production of a musical video-clip.
- Mike Figgis Seminar.
- Michael Tronick seminar: interaction between cinematographer and editor during the production of action movies.
- Margarethe Von Trotta and Franz Rath seminar: co-operation of director and cinematographer.
- Experimental films presentation by Polart Foundation.
- Opening of the exhibition of painting and photography by David Lynch in Atlas Sztuki Gallery at Piotrkowska St. with author and festival guests present,
- Closed screening of Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World with the creators present and with a press conference. Capitol Theater.
- Opening of the exhibition of photography by Chris Doyle at Opus Film Studio, with the author and festival guests present.
- Opening of painting exhibition of Jerzy Skolimowski in Tower Building at Łąkowa St. with the author and festival guests present.
- KODAK STUDENTS PARTY in the FANABERYA Club. The Party organized by KODAK in cooperation with Camerimage especially for students accredited at the Festival. Reni Jusis, one of Polish top singers, maintained great atmosphere of the party.
- ANNUAL KODAK DINNER PARTY for cinematographers and Festival guests in Opus Film Studio