The aim of the competition is to recognize the art of documentary filmmaking as creative interpretation of reality. Putting emphasis on the visual and aesthetic aspects of the selected nonfiction entries, the jury awards the best cinematographers in the competition.
The prestige of Documentary Shorts Competition was recognized by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences which has chosen EnergaCAMERIMAGE Festival as the ACADEMY AWARD® qualifying festival in the Documentary Short Subject category. This means that the Golden Frog award winners in Documentary Shorts Competition at EnergaCAMERIMAGE will qualify for consideration in the Documentary Short Subject category of the Annual Academy Awards® without the standard theatrical run, provided that the given film complies with other Academy rules.
There are two independent competitions:
– Documentary Shorts Competition – for entries with a running time of up to 40 minutes
– Documentary Features Competition – for entries with a running time of more than 40 minutes
Documentary entries for both competitions will be submitted using the same entry form and will be qualified to the appropriate competition by the organizers, based on their running time.
Each competition will be judged by a separate international jury that will choose the winners of:
Feature length films
– award presented to cinematographer(s): Golden Frog for Best Documentary Feature
– award presented to cinematographer(s): Golden Frog for Best Documentary Short
The following materials need to be emailed to [email protected]:
– 5 stills from the film (.tiff or .jpg files, not less than 1920 pixels on the long edge, 300 dpi)
– cinematographer’s headshot photo (.tiff or .jpg files, not less than 1920 pixels on the long edge, 300 dpi)
– English (and in Polish if available) dialogue list with time code
– synopsis of the film in English (and Polish if available)
The Submitter is obliged to provide an online screener such as a Vimeo, YouTube or other streaming platform link or as a downloadable file (as per the entry form declaration). If the film is not in Polish or English language, the screener should include English or Polish subtitles.
The deadline for the delivery of a preview screener and other required materials is 30th June 2023. We recommend however that you provide all the required materials within 7 days from submitting it online. Please make sure that in case of any links being provided, they need to remain valid till the end of September 2023.
Selection results will be sent to the Submitter by 2nd October 2023. If your film is selected you will be asked to provide a DCP (Digital Cinema Package) or a video file (according to the specification provided by the Organizer) with English subtitles (if a film is not originally in the English language) and Polish subtitles, if available.
Please direct any questions regarding the Documentary Films Competitions to Mateusz Graj at: [email protected]
PLEASE DO NOT RESUBMIT YOUR FILMS.
To be able to make a submission you need to have an CAMERIMAGE portal account registered. Just click below and follow the instructions.